Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Einstein, Where Are You?

It's all how you write things. I recently discovered that if one (well, me) does not write a math problem down in a formula, one can come up with really, really wrong results.

For example:

x = (6*6) + (12*3) + (3*3) + (3*3)

The correct answer is 90.

However, if one were to write it like this:

6*6
12*3
3*3
3*3

.. one may be tempted to add the columns and then multiply:

(6 + 12 + 3 + 3) * (6 + 3 + 3 + 3)

This is the exact reason that the square footage of my hallway is 90 and not 360.

1 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this case, the math matters big time: hardwood flooring for 90 square feet would be a lot cheaper than for 360.

I heard the saying that it pays to be smart. I guess in this case, it would. It certainly would be cheaper to order 4x less in material and pay for 4x less installation. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home